Tuesday, March 2, 2010
The goal of this assignment was to create a three dimensional system based off a two dimensional system. I decided to go about recreating my chosen topographical map using individually made paper tubes encased in a cardboard frame, a unique approach. Unfortunately, though I had numerous ideas for improvement, none were executed. Regardless, in my opinion, the completed product is acceptable though perhaps not stellar.
Posted by Ashley Barnett at 8:14 AM
For the topographical map project, my main idea was to use a thicker medium than paper, but I decided with the time constraints that I should go with my second plan. This was to create a tiny booklet sewn together with a topographical map inside said book. I achieved this after cutting a 5 in by 5 in square out of the inside of the book itself. This is my end result of the Topographical map project...
Monday, March 1, 2010
To be honest, I thought that this project was pretty interesting; taking a two-dimensional system and translating it into a three-dimensional system is a fascinating process. However, looking back on it now, I didn't really realize just how fascinating or how much potential there could be in the whole process – to be honest, my understanding of the project's potential was pretty limited. Many of the assignments that have been provided in this class have interested me, but I never seem to realize the full potential of each project until I see the work of my fellow classmates. Instead, I simply focus on finishing the project rather than exploring the myriad possibilities. The result? A disappointing one. Looking at the rest of class's work, I feel pretty meager and insignificant. Sure, I could tout that I measured accurately and reproduced an accurate 2:1 translation of my topographical map, and that I tried to explore color to visually "pop" each layer, but then what of my materials or my presentation? Bland, uninteresting, and probably lacking in nearly every aspect. Taking this to heart, I hope to improve with the future Foundations projects that I will encounter.
Posted by Jonathan Merritt at 10:28 PM
Our theme for the mini golf project was "Office". We lined the course with cardboard painted to resemble an office hallway. The part where the hole was, was lined with graphs and other office-y looking papers. We used office supplies like staplers, phones, cds, and a printer as obstacles. Our main obstacle was a spinning revolving door, but that broke fairly quickly, so we replaced it with a phone which was much more stable. Finally, we scattered shredded and crumpled paper on the sides for a messy look. Our par was 4.